Message Archive for hockey

No Newer Messages   [Next Older Message]   next older message

LAHS FH July workouts start tomorrow! - with attachment

Sent: Tue Jul 1, 2014 • 6:54 PM PDT
From: Mary Donahue

LAHS FH July workouts start tomorrow! - with attachment
Hi all-

SO... when I sent out the original email this afternoon I forgot to say that we are holding these workouts M, W, and F mornings 7-8:30 in July. (No workouts in August until we start our team practices the Friday prior to the start of school.)

AND I’ve attached the expensive workout program from last year as well…

mkd

Hi All-

Just a quick reminder that July LAHS field hockey team workouts (completely voluntary!) start tomorrow morning 7am-8:30am. Meet at the fh shed (in the back of the school by the softball diamond). All you need is running shoes, a stick (or you can borrow a school stick) and a water bottle. We will be doing stickwork drills first and then finishing the last half of each session w/fitness training. Please be on time, ready to warm-up.

Note since the turf field is all ripped up, we will be improvising on our stick work drills location. We will lily do our conditioning on the fh practice field.

Here’s the focus of these workouts:
- work on stickwork (I will be running drills w/them which involve constant touches each individual w/a ball. not a ton of running, but really small (like 5yd) sprints
- quickness, speed running
- body weight work outs/plyos to increase strength and flexibility (need strong core, upper body and legs for our sport) and need to be able to handle ploys etc when tired from running and vice-versa…

The other days of the week, you should be doing some other type of conditioning: running (aerobic) long distance training, or swimming or cycling. Throw in some core workouts to round things out!

For those of you not able to join us, and for ideas on what to do on the days we don’t train as a team, I’ve attached the fitness guide I sent out last summer. IT should give you some good specifics on types of activity to start building your fitness for this fall. Remember - fall starts August 8th with our set of 2 double days! So start working out now!

If you have any questions, please let me know. I hope to see a good batch of you tomorrow morning.

Also, no session on Friday, July 4th! Go America!

mkd

Mary Donahue
Head Coach, LAHS Field Hockey
408-718-9287